Friday, March 8, 2013

Introductions

It has been pointed out that I have already committed a blogosphere faux paux by not properly introducing myself here.  We are currently awaiting our next flight here in Miami, so I suppose this is as good of time as any to say a few words.

My name is Aaron Addison and I am the Director of GIS & Data Services at Washington University in St. Louis.  My team provides supporting technology and services to the entire WUSTL community.   Recently, our group became a part of University Libraries, with offices in Olin Library on the Danforth Campus.  In addition to leading the above team, I also teach GIS courses in the Brown School and University College.  Within UCollege, I also oversee the GIS Certificate program.  It is a very exciting time to be a part of the WUSTL fabric!

My passion for Geographic Information Systems (GIS) began early in life with a fascination for maps.  I was fortunate to travel as I was growing up, giving me a sense of place and space.   This interest continued to grow as I entered my undergraduate years and eventually led me to GIS.  I spent about 15 years working in the private sector on a variety of projects, mostly related to engineering and architecture.  I completed my graduate degree in Geographic Information Science just prior to my appointment at the university.

How about the caving you ask?  Well, you can blame all that on a library book.  When I was in high school, I went to the local university library with a friend on a whim.  He was doing some research and I was bored.  While roaming the stacks, I happened across some books on caving.  I have been at it ever since.

Caving has been the doorway to many adventures.  From exploring the caves in Illinois and Missouri, to participating in National Geographic sponsored expeditions in remote areas of Laos.  Currently my major projects are in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico, and of course in Galapagos.  The Galapagos project is actually much bigger and includes all of Ecuador, but that will have to wait for a different post.  We are boarding...next stop Guayaquil, Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment